Currituck County Currituck County Image

Frequently Asked Questions - Central Permitting

Q. What types of projects require a building permit?
A. The North Carolina State Building Code states, "No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, install, alter, repair, move improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure, or service system without first obtaining a permit for such from the inspections department having jurisdiction." 

  • Single family dwellings 
  • Manufactured homes (modulars, mobile homes)
  • Additions 
  • Accessory structures (garages, carports, sheds, pools, hot tubs, piers, platforms, beach accessways, etc.)
  • Bulkheads
  • Chimney/Woodstove
  • Alterations in excess of $5,000 and/or any work classified as structural or load bearing

Q. Do I need a permit to erect a tent on my property?
Yes, a tent permit is required.

Q. Do I need a permit to move a structure?
A. Yes, a moving permit is required to relocate a structure on the same property or to move a structure from one parcel to another.

Q. Do I need a permit to demolish a building on my property?
A. Yes, a demolition permit is required to tear down a building. The Health Hazards Control Unit (HHCU) of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health, must be notified of plans to demolish a building, including residences demolished for commercial or industrial expansion. Notification of demolition is required by law even if no asbestos is present in the building.
      Health Hazards Control Unit (HHCU)
      1912 Mail Service Center
      Raleigh, NC 27699-1912

Q. Can I build my own house?
A. Yes, if the construction exceeds $30,000 you certify that: 

  • You are not allowing an unlicensed general contractor to perform the duties of a general contractor. 
  • You intend to retain the finished house exclusively for your own use.
  • You schedule every inspection. 
  • You are not building a speculation project with intent to sell once completed.
  • You will comply with all county, state, and federal laws in regard to social security, worker's compensation, privilege license, and all other requirements where applicable.

Q. When will my building permit expire?
A. Building permits expire six months after issuance if no construction has commenced. Work must continue until the project is complete. The permit will expire if work stops for more than 12 months.

Q.  Do I need a permit for a farm building?
A building permit is not required to construct a bona fide farm building used for farm purposes. A bona fide farm statement must be submitted to the division to determine if yhour farming operation qualifies as a bona fide farm. Electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or insulation work to a farm building requires trade permits.

Q.  Can I mail my permit application?
  Yes, you can mail a complete permit application to the appropriate office.