County Pledges Too...
Reduce Energy Usage
Currituck County's approximate power bill for 2008 is $450,000. The county will try to reduce the energy usage by 10% for a $45,000 savings in 2009.
Implement practices that can save energy by:
- Turning off lights and electronics when not in frequent use
- Tightening existing building to seal air leaks with weather stripping, sealants, insulation or caulking
- Using the most efficient light source for the application: i.e. compact fluorescent and high - performance fluorescent systems
- Buying Energy Star heating and cooling systems
- Using automatic controls to turn off lights or dim lights
- Tuning up HVAC equipment yearly
- Installing programmable thermostats
- Changing air filters regularly
- Sealing heating and cooling ducts
- Educate staff
The tipping fee for just one ton of trash is $68.00, whereas one ton of recyclables fee is $45.00. For every ton recycled the County will save $23.00 per ton.
Implement practices to reduce waste by:
Printing double sided and only when needed
Recycling and eliminate use of plastics
Purchasing office supplies containing recycled materials including paper,pens, and other office products
Canceling unnecessary publications and unwanted mail
Eliminating paper files and save documents electronically
Make use of technology!