Currituck County Currituck County Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How can I find the department or agency I need that provides a particular service?
A. The County Manager's office serves as a referral source for citizens, businesses, organizations, and other governmental agencies. Office personnel will direct individuals to the proper department or agency.

Q. I have a complaint regarding a County department and an employee. What should I do?
A. The County Manager's office responds to complaints regarding services provided by County departments and will assist in the resolution of problems by working with the appropriate department. Click here to complete our Customer Service Survey.

Q. Where can I get an ATV Beach Driving Permit to ride vehicle on the northern Currituck Outer Banks beaches?
A.  Applications may be obtained at the County Manager's Office in Currituck or the Outer Banks Satellite Office in Corolla. You must be a Currituck County resident or property owner to be eligible to obtain two free annual permits. You must also show proof of liability insurance on the ATV. 

You may also obtain an ATV Permit Application by calling 252-232-2075, ext. 4002.  Typically, if applying in person, permits are issued at the time the completed application and proof of insurance are presented. 

Permits may also be obtained by mail by faxing or mailing the application and proof of insurance to the County Manager's Office, 153 Courthouse Road, Suite 204, Currituck, NC 27929, Fax: 252-232-3551.

To view the ATV laws.

Q. How do I get my road on the State System for maintenance?
A. In order to begin the process to have a private road accepted by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), a petition must be signed by the residents and property owners on the road.

The petition may be obtained from the County Manager's Office and returned there when completed. The petition is then placed on the Board of Commissioners' meeting agenda. Following Board approval, the request is submitted to DOT for investigation and processing. NCDOT will correspond with the first name on the petition regarding their decision.

Q. What is the schedule for the Knotts Island Ferry?
A. The current schedule for the Knotts Island Ferry and other NC ferries is available at North Carolina Department of Transportation website.

Q. How do I obtain a business license?
A. Currituck County does not require business or privilege licenses. The County does require that businesses comply with State license requirements. You should check with the County Planning and Community Development Department to determine if your property is zoned properly for the business you have in mind.

If you have any questions concerning starting a business in Currituck County, you may email the Dan Scanlon County Manager, or call 252-232-2075 .